Treatment of Heavy Menses
There are a number of treatment options for women with heavy menses (periods). After your ObGyn Chico determines the reason for your heavy periods, he may suggest some lifestyle changes, drug therapy, small surgical procedures or major surgery.
It’s always helpful to maintain a healthy diet, but for even better results, your ObGyn Chico may recommend making dietary changes at least 14 days prior to the start of your period:
- Adding fiber to your diet by eating more fruit, vegetables and whole grains.
- Eating more foods containing vitamin K such as leafy vegetables, cheese and asparagus.
- Avoiding soy products, alcohol, saturated fats, and/or junk food.
Some patients have also found that yoga, consistent exercise, and acupuncture are very successful in the management of heavy menses.
Minor procedures can be performed in-office and can take anywhere from 5 to 45 minutes. No incisions are needed, and depending on the treatment method used, patients typically recover in just a few hours or a couple of days.
These procedures include:
- Dilation and Curettage (D&C), which is a scraping away the top layer of the uterus lining.
- Endometrial Ablation, in which your ObGyn Chico gently removes just the lining of the uterus.
Hysterectomy is a major surgical procedure that can be performed in a variety of ways: abdominally, vaginally, laparoscopically, or robotically. The procedure is typically recommended for women who have not responded to other treatments.
You and your ObGyn Chico will discuss your individual situation to determine the best form of treatment for you.
Don’t wait – call us today at (530) 332-9288 to schedule your confidential consultation.